Transition

 Every Alzheimer’s journey is different in unique little ways.  For us, Randy tends to transition every 3-4 months, like clockwork.  All Alz patients transition however the cycles can vary from person to person.  Early Onset Alzheimer’s typically moves along faster than Advanced Age Alzheimer’s.

We know it’s coming by the severe mood swings and hostility that come out of nowhere.  He is angry for no reason and nothing makes him happy.  He has never been a verbally abusive man so, as you can imagine, there are a lot of hurt feelings when this version of him takes over.  Bring on the “F*** You’s” and “stay away from me’s”.   The caregiver suffers along with the patient, as we try to navigate our “new normal” and find our calm.

Generally a phone call to his Doctor is all it takes for a med adjustment, which is all that can be done. Every four months. For the rest of his life. 

***breathe***

New meds take about 2 weeks to kick in.  It can be a very long 2 weeks.  It’s stressful and scary for me.  I can’t imagine what his version of reality looks like, in his shrinking brain, during these periods.  I imagine I’d be angry and hostile too.  Who am I kidding… I am. 

The new meds have kicked in.  Our weekend was lovely.  He was happy.  We got together with friends Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  He was happy.  We drank our coffee in bed and got to FaceTime our daughter and granddaughters.  He was happy.

What’s our “new normal” this time?  He now sleeps 12-16 hours per night and his confusion has increased noticeably.  He also snaps when he feels overwhelmed.

But … this time he is exhibiting signs of the Randy I haven’t had the pleasure of sharing life with in quite some time.  He is sweet and caring.  When I ask him if he wants this is or that, he responds with “let’s make it about you.  What do you want?”He keeps telling me he loves me and thanks me for all I do.  He holds me.  He calls me Baby.

As I write this, he is softly rubbing my cheek and chin and asking me to sit closer to him.  Be still, my heart.

Lord, how I have missed him.  I’m not sure how long this Randy will be here but I plan on enjoying every moment❤️

Cheers!

Comments

  1. Melissa
    You are courageous! He deeply loves you, he just can’t express it sometimes. 😘

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbows and Angels

Blooming

“Who Are You?”