“Who Are You?”

It finally happened 

As of late , he can’t tell me my name, when asked.  
If I ask him if my name is Melissa, he tells me “she’s not here”.
When I tell him I’m Melissa, he responds with “cool”.

Weirdly, if someone else refers to me by name, he knows who they are speaking of.

I’ve begun asking him how we are related.  He just shrugs and smiles.  
Am I your Mother? “No, I don’t have one”. (True, Mom passed from this horrible disease in 2001)
Am I your Wife?  “No, she’s not here”.
We are married.  “That’s awesome!”

He has even gone so far as to throw his arm around my shoulder and tell me what a good sister I am.  (He has no sisters)

And again, if someone else asks about his Wife, he knows it’s me.

This disease fascinates me.. when it’s not destroying everything we had, little by little.

Over the weekend, Randy stayed with his Dad and Stepmom. When I arrived to pick him up, he was napping.  So as not to startle him, I softly sat beside him and rubbed his arm.  He opened is eyes and with a lopsided grin, 

“Who are you?”

The air was suddenly sucked out of the room.  How could this be happening?  I was momentarily shocked by the disbelief I was experiencing.  I was also very worried his confusion would cause fear.

***my brain…shake it off, divert, breathe***

Have you been waiting for me?  “Ummmm… sure” (smiling)
Would you like to go home with me?  “Ummm…Ok” (BIG smiling)

“Who are you?”

As this disease continues to steal him from me, all of us, I find that I don’t know this version of him.

A little more, each day, his eyes seem hollow.  He is less verbal, giving me monotone, one line responses.  He asks permission to leave the room, to use the restroom, to go outside.  

I’ve had to spoon feed him his dinner when he’s forgotten how to use his spoon.  I have to buckle his seatbelt, brush his teeth, dress him and so much more.

If he isn’t sleeping the day away, he’s either pacing or just sitting and staring at the wall.  Some days, the television occupies his brain, while others, he couldn’t be less interested.

The most unnerving, for me personally.. he smells different.  Something so purely familiar, gone!

My confidence in my ability to care for him wavers when I allow myself to feel so disconnected from him.

And then he shows me a glimpse of my Randy.  He shows me gratitude.

 He thanks me everyday after we get him showered and dressed.  He thanks me after I’ve served him a meal or taken him somewhere.  After I shave his head and trim his beard.  

“Thank you for everything”

He knows I am his person.  He knows he is safe with me.  He knows I take care of him and for that, I am grateful. 

Till the end Big Guy, till the end.

CheersπŸ’œ

Comments

  1. OMG Knowing it would happen does not lessen the blow. Heartfelt tears dear amazing Melissa. πŸ’”❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that you are strong, and you need your friends to be strong for you…. But this brings me to tears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers my friend πŸ™ ❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I read your blog I am blown away by how insightful and articulate you are. I don't mean that I never thought of YOU in that way, just meant that it is sometimes easy to be that way but not be able to express it in written words. It takes skill and emotions to express your life through writing, and you have done it so well. Sending love and strength to you all !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Auntie. Honestly, as things progress, I find it difficult to put into words. Sometimes just the thought of the process is too much but, once I begin… the words flow. I’m happy to document it for him, for me and for anyone who finds it helpful. Love you😘

      Delete
  5. πŸ˜‡πŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa, you are a blessing to many that read your blog, people that feel so alone. What hurts is remembering how they used to be. I’m grateful for your willingness to share, you are making a difference πŸ’œ
    Thank you for sharing your journey even though it’s difficult.
    πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Darlene. You are so good at documentation and sharing your thoughts, days and disappointments with us. You amaze me young lady. You inspire others including myself to be a better person and to help others in need. I love you both. The journey is a hard lesson and I’m sure pill to swallow, but no one will ever know how to handle this situation until they’ve been through it themself. You are the best Melissa. My heart breaks for you both but I know you wouldn’t have it any other way. Your words give me comfort too. Love you so much. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. David says to play music for him that he enjoys and is familiar with. He says it helps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does find comfort in music. Familiarity, I think :)

      Delete
  9. I cannot imagine how difficult, bless you and prayers for you both as time goes on….there’s a special place in heaven for you both❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is definitely a devastating disease. As I went through it with both my grandmother's, I often felt it was harder on us than them, especially since they did not realize what was going on. I will keep you in my prayers. πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've gone this route with my wife, who has FTD. So many plans and memories....washed away. Everything you had going....gone. But this is an incredible, final act of love. Do everything you can, as long as you can. And one day you'll be done, but secure in yourself.
    I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for your journey Andy. Yes, all we can do is love them through it and hope to be at peace when it's over.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blooming

Rainbows and Angels