Reflection

I am always trying to understand how his brain works… I find it interesting at times.

Last Wednesday we had a bit of excitement.  I got a call at work from Nette (Randy’s cousin Jeanette moved in with us last October) telling me we had a problem.  

Stove was on fire and Fire Dept was on the way.  I, of course, panicked, and left work immediately.  30 minute drive home…

When FD arrived, they tried to get Randy to answer simple questions.  Name and DOB.  He was stone silent.  Could not even answer these simple things.  Nette had to take over, as I wasn’t home yet.

Next day, after work, Randy went with me to pick up his prescriptions.  We may or may not have spoiled him so that he expects a Starbucks, EVERY TIME he goes for a car ride (🤷‍♀️).  In the Starbucks drive thru he suddenly turns to me and tells me his full name.  Living with an Alzheimer’s patient I automatically know, this in is response to being asked this exact info the day before.  He knew he failed to answer previously but now, had the answer. 

 This is the Alzheimer’s brain in action folks.
Since he was eager, I proceeded to ask him more information.  Asked him if he knew his DOB.  He gave this great thought and appeared to be focused on something… he said “I know this… J… 2… it’s that month, you know”.  I told him his DOB and he seemed satisfied.  I pressed on… asked when my birthday was… again, “ I know this… before my Mom’s”.  He wasn’t wrong but I giggled and told him that’s cheating.  (My bday is 4 days before his Mom’s).

I pressed on.  

Is my birthday in January, I asked.  He said yes.  I asked if he knew what year.  He proudly replied “1966!”  I told him he did good but, that was the year he was born.  I was born in 1970. 

The right answers are swimming around in his brain.  They just get jumbled up.  He is still in there, my guy, sorting through the chaos.

I like to ask him simple questions, although hard for him, when he is up for it.  It works his brain.  It seems to give him normalcy.

While to some this seems sad, I find it endearing.  He’s trying to work it out in his head and is pleased with his effort.

The Alzheimer’s brain is such an interesting, heartbreaking, powerful mess.

This is my husband… this is his reality…this is our life. 

Cheers ♥️ 

Comments

  1. You go girl !!! I have no idea of the life , (or lack of) that you are going through. It is good to read about it and cheer you on. You two have always been my heros, now more than ever !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for giving us a peak into your life. As hard as it is at times, little victories are far more important. Continuing to pray for little victories and peace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbows and Angels

Blooming

“Who Are You?”